Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium and the Autism Action Partnership have launched a free all-inclusive mobile app experience, Omaha Zoo 4 All, to help prepare, engage and inspire visitors with autism or sensory needs, as well as their families.
While exploring the Zoo’s 160-acre property, app users will have access to the following at their fingertips:
- Sensory guides to preview exhibits. Sensory and audio versions are available in easy and advanced formats with a selection of font styles.
- Customizable scheduler to plan your visit. Make your own checklist for the day using a selection of pre-populated items. Also create your own to-dos and upload your own photos.
- Sensory-friendly map with quiet areas and other stimuli. Identify quiet spaces, low-light zones, high-touch areas and the best places to move around. Also includes the locations of our restrooms.
- Communication and reminder tools. Tap on one of many pictures to talk, ask for help or serve a reminder of a particular task.
- Card-matching game to relax your senses. Match cards featuring different animals and habitats from around the Zoo.
- Insider tips. Hours of operation for our rides and attractions, wagon, stroller and wheelchair rental information, and more of your frequently asked questions answered.
Sensory kits will also be available to checkout on a first-come, first-serve basis at the main entrance of the Zoo. From Memorial Day through Labor Day, they will also be available at the Zoo’s North Entrance when it is open.
The kits can be used in addition to the sensory app or on their own. Each one includes headphones with ear covers, sunglasses, a two-minute sand timer and fidget items.
The app is available for download on Apple’s App Store or Google Play for Android. The app can be found in their respective stores by searching “Omaha Zoo.” A red square with the outline of the Desert Dome, one of the four colored boxes of Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium’s logo, serves as the app’s icon.
The app has been optimized for the following Apple devices: iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and Mac. These devices must have iOS 9.0 or later. Macs require macOS 11 or later and a Mac with an Apple M1 chip. Android users must have update 5.0 or later download.
About Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium
Currently ranked as one of the world’s top five zoos, Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium is an independent not-for-profit organization accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums. The Zoo is nationally recognized for its conservation, animal care and exhibit design. As a leader in conservation, the Zoo’s Center for Conservation and Research focuses on areas to benefit animal husbandry and species conservation, including conservation genetics, conservation medicine, reproductive sciences and comparative nutrition. More information is available at OmahaZoo.com.
About Autism Action Partnership
Autism Action Partnership, a certified autism center and not-for-profit organization, has been serving the needs of the Nebraska autism community for more than a decade through three core programming areas: education, workforce development, enrichment and inclusion. Its mission is to improve the quality of life or persons on the Autism Spectrum and their families through education, advocacy and support, thereby enabling them to be an integral part of the community. More information is available at AutismAction.org.